So, how to we share that crazy awesome news with a kid that has no idea what this is all about?
There are many ways, but this one is one of my favorites. After me and my kid do a chore, they get to pick a treasure from the treasure chest. This treasure chest is filled with Verse Rocks—stones with printed bible verses on them. They are all shiny, pretty, and some are gold. Our kiddos, young and old, love small treasures like these.
For the kid to be able to take their treasure home, we must fill out a verse study sheet together. The first question on this sheet is: What does this verse say in your own words? The second question is: What can I practice in my life based on what my verse says? Then we pray. That’s it.
Why is this so important?
1)This treasure is something they earned after a chore. Kids will value something more if they had to earn it.
2) The verse study questions are important for them to really think about the verse.
3) I personally made the Rocks that they are picking from; prayerfully discerning what scriptures may hit home for some of our kids. I normally pick scriptures that include God’s promises, the gospel, and love from the cross.
Making these treasures are oh-so fun as well! Some kiddos find a favorite verse and make their own customized treasure.
Directions to make your own Verse Rock
1) Smooth river rocks (pick one with a flat surface)
2) Acrylic Paint (optional if you want a colored rock)
3) Helmsman gloss liquid lacquer (Paint/wood stain section at Lowes)
4) Printed out bible verse—regular printer paper works fine. You’ll have to use really small font!
1) Now is the time to paint your rock if you’d like. I have painted some gold in the treasure chest so they look like gold nuggets. Personally, I like the natural look.
2) Now, coat your rock with Helmsman lacquer. I have to do one side first, let it dry, then flip it over and do the other side.
3) Brush a thin layer of lacquer in the back of your scripture—stick it on your rock! Sticking on the flat side works the best.
4) Brush a thin layer of lacquer over the top of your verse and let dry completely.
Wah-laa! Your very own Verse Rock with your favorite scripture. Our boys at the ministry use them as pocket rocks; they carry their Verse Rock in their pocket all day, so they are reminded of God’s Word all day long.